Place:


Cwmavon  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cwmavon like this:

CWM-AVON, a seat of manufacture in Glamorgan; on the river Avon, 2 miles N of Aberavon. It has a post office‡ under Taibach; and is connected by railway with Port-Talbot. It contains the extensive copper, tin, and iron works of the Copper Miners Company, incorporated in 1691; exhibits striking scenery, both natural and artificial; and has a handsome recently-erected church, with a lofty spire, -a stone aqueduct, 460 feet long, conveying a stream for a water-wheel-and a flue carried 3, 300 feet up the acclivity of the mountain, for carrying copper-smoke vapour.

Additional information about this locality is available for Michaelstone super Avon

Cwmavon through time

Cwmavon is now part of Neath Port Talbot district. Click here for graphs and data of how Neath Port Talbot has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cwmavon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cwmavon, in Neath Port Talbot and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23874

Date accessed: 17th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cwmavon ".