In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Escot like this:
ESCOT, a chapelry in Ottery-St. Mary and Talaton parishes, Devon; on the river Otter, and on the Yeovil and Exeter railway, adjacent to Ottery-Road r. station, 2 miles NNW of Ottery-St. Mary. It was constituted in 1844. Post town, Ottery-St. Mary, under Exeter-Pop., 534. Houses, 103. Escot House is the seat of Sir John Kennaway, Bart. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £75. Patron, Sir J. Kennaway, Bart. The church was built in 1840; is a neat edifice; and contains a handsome monument of the Kennaway family.
Additional information about this locality is available for Ottery St Mary
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Escot has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Escot and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Escot in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Escot".