Place:


Stony Middleton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stony Middleton like this:

MIDDLETON-STONEY, a village and a chapelry in Hathersage parish, Derby. The village stands at the entrance of Middleton dale, on an affluent of the river Derwent, 3½ miles N by E of Hassop r. station, and 4½ N by E of Bakewell; is a very picturesque place, with some houses at the foot of cliffs, and others on successive ledges of steep rock; and has a post office under Sheffield, and a warm spring with baths. ...


The spring is supposed to have been known and used by the Romans; was covered by erections of old date; and is now enclosed in baths rebuilt by the late Lord Denman. The chapelry comprises 1,310 acres. Real property, £2,191. Pop., 608. Houses, 132. The property is much subdivided. Stoney-Middleton House is the seat of Lord Denman. Middleton dale is a highly romantic glen. The rocks are chiefly limestone, and they abound in lead ore. Several lime-kilns are in the dale; and there are places for smelting ore and manufacturing barytes. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £110. Patron, the Vicar of Hathersage. The church was rebuilt in 1767; retains a tower of more ancient date; and has the form of an octagon. There are chapels for Presbytcrians and Wesleyans, an endowed school, and charities £20.

Stony Middleton through time

Stony Middleton is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stony Middleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stony Middleton in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2385

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stony Middleton ".