In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coates like this:
COATES, a chapelry in Whittlesey-St. Mary parish, Cambridge; adjacent to the Peterborough and Ely railway, 1½ mile NE of Eastrea r. station, and 3 E by N of Whittlesey. It was constituted in 1850; and it has a post office under Peterborough. Pop., 1, 394. Houses, 300. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £70.* Patron, alt. the Lord Chancellor and Mr. Childers. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a n. school.
Additional information about this locality is available for Whittlesey
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Coates has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Fenland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Coates and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coates, in Fenland and Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Coates".