Place:


High Cross  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described High Cross like this:

HIGH CROSS, a hamlet and a chapelry in Standon parish, Herts. The hamlet lies 3 miles W of Hadham r. station, and 3 N of Ware. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Post town, Ware. Pop., 819. Houses, 170. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £150.* Patron, W. G. Puller, Esq. The church is modern, and consists of nave and chancel, with porch and bell turret.

Additional information about this locality is available for Standon

High Cross through time

High Cross is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about High Cross itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of High Cross in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23817

Date accessed: 21st July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " High Cross ".