Place:


Prestwood  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Prestwood like this:

PRESTWOOD, a hamlet in Stoke-Mandeville parish, and a chapelry partly also in Hughendon and Great Missenden parishes, Bucks. The hamlet lies 2 miles W by N of Great Missenden, and 4¼ N E of West Wycombe r. station; and has a post-office under Amersham. The chapelrywas constituted in 1852. Pop. in 1861, 947. Houses, 203. Pop. of the G. M. portion, 113; of the H. portion, 387. The property is much subdivided. The living isw a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £120. Patron, the Rev. T. Evetts. The church and a schoolwere built in 1850.

Additional information about this locality is available for Hughenden

Prestwood through time

Prestwood is now part of Chiltern district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chiltern has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Prestwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Prestwood, in Chiltern and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23786

Date accessed: 19th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Prestwood ".