Place:


Strand  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Strand like this:

STRAND, a district in Middlesex; forming part of the metropolis, immediately W of Temple Bar; cut into four sub-districts, and containing St. Anne-Soho, St. Paul-Covent-Garden, St. Mary-le-Strand, and St. Clement-Danes parishes, St. John-Baptist-Savoy precinct, the Rolls liberty, Clements Inn, New Inn, and the Middle Temple. ...


Acres, 172; of which 32 are in the Thames. Poor rates in 1863, £31,164. Pop. in 1851, 44,417; in 1861, 42,979. Houses, 3,775. Marriages in 1863, 437; births, 1,298,-of which 38 were illegitimate; deaths, 1,092,-of which 450 were at ages under 5 years, and 10 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 3,891; births, 12,856; deaths, 10,341. The places of worship, in 1851, were 9 of the Church of England, with 6,858 sittings: 2 of Independents, with 1,750 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 1,170 s.; 1 of Welsh Calvinistic Methodists, with 500 s.; 1 of Lutherans, with 600 s.; 1 of Roman Catholics, with 960 s.; and 1 of Jews, with 160 s. The schools were 14 public day-schools, with 2,744 scholars; 32 private day-schools, with 849 s.; 9 Sunday schools, with 1,308 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 3 s. The workhouse is in the Tottenham-Court sub-district of Pancras district.

The location is half way along the Strand.

Strand through time

Strand is now part of Westminster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Westminster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Strand itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Strand, in Westminster and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2376

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Strand ".