Place:


Wyke  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wyke like this:

WYKE, a tything in Worplesdon parish, and a chapelry partly also in Ash and Wamborough parishes, Surrey. The tything lies 1½ mile NW of Guildford r. station. Pop., 158. The chapelry was constituted in 1847; and its Post town is Guildford. Rated property, £3,096. Pop., 521. Houses, 94. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £170.* Patron, Eton College. The church was built in 1858.

Wyke through time

Wyke is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wyke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wyke, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23708

Date accessed: 12th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wyke ".