Place:


Tongham  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tongham like this:

TONGHAM, a chapelry in Seal parish, Surrey; on the Guildford and Alton railway, 1½ mile SE of Aldershot. It was constituted in 1865; and it has a r. station with telegraph, and a post-office‡ under Farnham. Pop. in 1868, about 800. The manor belongs to Lieut.-Gen. Sir John L. Pennefather. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £100. Patron, the Archdeacon of Surrey.

Tongham through time

Tongham is now part of Guildford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Guildford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tongham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tongham, in Guildford and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23695

Date accessed: 14th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tongham ".