Place:


Upper Dicker Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upper Dicker like this:

DICKER (Upper), a village in Arlington parish, and a. chapelry in Arlington, Chiddingly, and Hellingly parishes, Sussex. The village stands near the river Cuckmere, 2½ miles NNE of Berwick r. station, and 3 W by N of Hailsham; and has a post office under Hurst Green, and a fair on Holy Thursday. The chapelry bears the name of Upper Dicker Common; and was constituted in 1845. Pop., 550. Houses, 108. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £125.* Patron, the Bishop of Chichester.

Additional information about this locality is available for Arlington

Upper Dicker through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Upper Dicker has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wealden. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Upper Dicker and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upper Dicker, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23664

Date accessed: 25th October 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Upper Dicker".