In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Hallam like this:
HALLAM (WEST), a parish in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; on the Nutbrook canal, 2 miles W by S of Ilkeston r. station, and 7 NE by E of Derby. It has a post office under Derby. Acres, 1, 323. Real property, £, 278; of which £3, 100 are in mines. Pop., 559. Houses, 109. The manor belongs to Lieut. Col. Newdigate. Coal is largely worked. There is a sulphureous spring, of local medicinal note. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £250. Patron, Lieut. Col. Newdigate. The church consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with porch and embattled tower; and contains an ancient marble monument to the Pow trells. A grammar school, founded in 1664, has an endowed income of £170; and other charities have £39.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Hallam has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Erewash. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Hallam and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Hallam, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Hallam".