In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Greenstead Green like this:
GREENSTEAD GREEN, a chapelry in Halstead parish, Essex; 2 miles S of Halstead town and r. station. It was constituted in 1845; and it has a postoffice under Halstead. Pop., 659. Houses, 101. There is a paper mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £400. * Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church was built in 1845; and is a handsome structure, with tower and spire. There are a national school, a servants' training institution, and a lccture hall.
Additional information about this locality is available for Halstead
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Greenstead Green has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Greenstead Green and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Greenstead Green, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Greenstead Green".