In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Staplefield like this:
STAPLEFIELD-COMMON, a chapelry in Cuckfield parish, Sussex; 4¼ miles NW of Haywards-Heath r. station. It was constituted in 1848; and it has a post-office under Crawley. Pop., 798. Houses, 129. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £70.* Patron, the Vicar of Cuckfield. The church was built in 1847. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.
Additional information about this locality is available for Cuckfield
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staplefield in Mid Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Staplefield ".