Place:


Brushford  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brushford like this:

BRUSHFORD, a parish in Crediton district, Devon; 2½ miles W by N of Lapford r. station, and 5 S by W of Chumleigh. Post Town, Wenworthy, North Devon. Acres, 894. Real property, £895. Pop., 132. Houses, 26. The manor belonged anciently to Hartland Abbey; and has belonged, since the time of Elizabeth, to the Luxton family. Brushford-Barton is the seat of G. Luxton, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £51. Patron, G. Luxton, Esq. The church consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower.

Brushford through time

Brushford is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brushford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brushford in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2352

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brushford ".