Place:


Oby  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oby like this:

OBY, a parish in Flegg district, Norfolk; on the river Bure, 3½ miles N of Acle, and 7 N E of Brundall r. station. Post-town, Ludham, under Norwich. Acres, with Ashby, 1, 408. Real property, with Ashby, £3,085. Pop. of O. alone, 80. Houses, 12. The living is a rectory, united with the rectories of Ashby and Thirne, in the diocese of Norwich. The church for the three rectories is in Thirne, but the parsonage is in Oby; and here also are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school.

Oby through time

Oby is now part of Great Yarmouth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Great Yarmouth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oby, in Great Yarmouth and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23438

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oby ".