Place:


Binsted  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Binsted like this:

BINSTEAD, or Binsted, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Alton, Hants. The parish lies 2½ miles SSW of Bentley r. station, and 4 NE by E of Alton; contains the hamlets of Issington, Week, Westcote, and Wheatley; and has a post office under Alton. Acres, 6,833. Real property, £7,104. ...


Pop., 1,195. Houses, 231. Binstead Hill is the seat of the Coulthards. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Kingsley, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, not reported.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is ancient, has a low embattled tower and a spire, and contains several monuments. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.-The subdistrict comprises eight parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 27,482. Pop., 4,806. Houses, 980.

Binsted through time

Binsted is now part of East Hampshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hampshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Binsted itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Binsted in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2342

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Binsted ".