Place:


Weeting  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Weeting like this:

WEETING-WITH-BROOMHILL, a parish in Thetford district, Norfolk; 1½ mile N by W of Brandon r. station. It has a post-office under Brandon. Acres, 6,187. Real property, £2,265. Pop., 365. Houses, 75. W. Hall is the seat of W. Angerstein, Esq. A castle was built, on a site within the park, by Earl de Warenne; and is now represented by some ruins. ...


Broomhill priory belonged to Cardinal Wolsey; passed to Christ's College, Cambridge; and was purchased by the Angersteins. The living is a double rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £503. Patron, Gonville and Cains College, Cambridge. There were two churches; and one of them is still good, but the other is a ruin.

Weeting through time

Weeting is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Weeting itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Weeting, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2340

Date accessed: 20th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Weeting ".