In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tovil like this:
TOVIL, a hamlet in Maidstone parish, and a chapelry partly also in Loose and East Farleigh parishes, Kent. The hamlet lies on the river Medway, 1 mile SSW of Maidstone r. station; and has a post-office under Maidstone, a large oil-cake mill, and several paper mills. Pop., 660. Houses, 133. The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Pop., 897. Houses, 187. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury, Value, £100.* Patron, alternately the Archbishop of and Mrs. Charlton. The church is modern.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tovil has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Maidstone. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tovil and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tovil, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tovil".