In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woolton Hill like this:
WOOLTON-HILL, a chapelry in East Woodhay parish, Hants; 4 miles SW of Newbury r. station. It was constituted in 1850; and it has a post-office under Newbury. Pop, 821. Houses, 193. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £100. Patron, the Rector of East Woodhay.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Woolton Hill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Basingstoke and Deane. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Woolton Hill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woolton Hill, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woolton Hill".