Place:


Maesgwartha  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Maesgwartha like this:

MAESGWARTHA, a parcel in Llanelly parochial chapelry, Brecon; on the Brecon canal, 2 miles S of Crickhowell. Real property, £11,171; of which £105 are in quarries, £5,023 in ironworks, and £1,399 in the canal. Pop., 1,659.

The location is where the name "Maesgwartha" appears, somewhat illegibly, on the Ordinance Survey 1st Series map.

Maesgwartha through time

Maesgwartha is now part of Monmouthshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Monmouthshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Maesgwartha itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maesgwartha, in Monmouthshire and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23277

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Maesgwartha ".