Place:


Headley  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Headley like this:

HEADLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Farnborough and county of Southampton. The village stands near the boundary with Surrey, about 4½ miles N of Liphook r. station, and 8 S by W of Farnham; is noted for the salubrity of its air and the purity of its waters; and has a post office under Liphook, and a workhouse. ...


The parish comprises 6, 977 acres. Real property, £5, 448. Pop., 1, 320. Houses, 297. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Winchester. Nearly one half of the land recently was waste; but much of this, in 1865 and previous years, was reclaimed. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £776.* Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church is chiefly later English, and was restored in 1858. There is an endowed school.—The sub-district contains also the parishes of Kingsley and Bramshott; and is a poor law incorporation under Gilbert's act. Pop., 3, 128.

Headley through time

Headley is now part of East Hampshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hampshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Headley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Headley in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2322

Date accessed: 17th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Headley ".