Place:


Shirley  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shirley like this:

SHIRLEY, a chapelry in Solihull parish, Warwickshire; 2 miles W by S of Solihull r. station, and 6 SSE of Birmingham. It was constituted in 1843; and it has a post-office under Birmingham. Pop., 1,062. Houses, 234. The property is much subdivided. Many good residences are at S.-Heath and S.-Street. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £200.* Patron, the Rector of Solihull. The church was built in 1832. There are an Independent chapel and national schools.

Shirley through time

Shirley is now part of Solihull district. Click here for graphs and data of how Solihull has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shirley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shirley, in Solihull and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23081

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shirley ".