In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hale like this:
HALE, or HEAL, a hamlet and a chapelry in Farnham parish, Surrey. The hamlet lies on the verge of the county, near Farnham Park, 1¼ mile N of Farnham town and r. station; and has a post office under Farnham. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 2, 864. Houses, 549. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £340.* Patron, the Vicar of Farnham.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hale has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Waverley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hale and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hale, in Waverley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hale".