In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton Bendish like this:
BARTON-BENDISH, a village and a parish in Downham district, Norfolk. The village stands 5½ miles SSW of Narborough r. station, and 7½ ENE of Downham; and has a post office under Brandon. It took its distinctive name from a dyke, called Bendish, which the Saxons erected to mark the boundary of the hundred. The parish includes also the hamlet of Eastmore. Acres, 4,390. Real property, £4,849. Pop., 484. Houses, 94. The property is divided among a few. Barton-Bendish Hall is the seat of Sir H. ...
Berney, Bart. The living consists of the rectory of St. Mary-with-All Saints, and the rectory of St. Andrew; and is in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £569.* Patrons, Sir H. Berney, Bart. and the Lord Chancellor. The church of St. Mary-with-All Saints is good; and that of St. Andrew has a fine screen, with hagiological figures, and was repaired in 1859. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £36.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Barton Bendish has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Barton Bendish and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton Bendish in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Barton Bendish".