Place:


Oldcastle  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oldcastle like this:

NOLTON, a chapelry, with a village, in Coyty parish, Glamorgan; 2 miles N N E of Bridgend r. station. Post-town, Bridgend. The statistics are returned with the parish. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Coyty, in the diocese of Llandaff.

We define Oldcastle and Nolton as one and the same firstly because both names refer to exactly the same area just to the south of the centre of Bridgend, and secondly because the relevant 'old castle' was Nolton Castle. The descriptions given by the Bartholomew and Imperial gazetteers of Nolton as being two miles north-east of Bridgend would seem to refer to the village of Coity, which gave its name to the containing parish. We give Oldcastle as the preferred name because it appears on topographic maps as a placename, whereas Nolton appears mainly in the name of Nolton Street.

Oldcastle through time

Oldcastle is now part of Bridgend district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgend has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oldcastle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oldcastle, in Bridgend and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22851

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oldcastle ".