Place:


Coleford  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coleford like this:

COLEFORD, a small town and a chapelry in Kilmersdon parish, Somerset. The town stands near three large new collieries, 6 miles NW of Frome r. station; is a rising place; has a post office under Bath, a church, and two Methodist chapels; and publishes a weekly newspaper. The chapelry w as constituted in 1843. Pop., 1, 387. Houses, 315. The living is a p. curacy in the dio. of Bath And Wells. Value, £120.* Patron, the Vicar of Kilmersdon.

Coleford through time

Coleford is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coleford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coleford, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22812

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coleford ".