Place:


Sacriston  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sacriston like this:

SACRISTON, a village and a chapelry in Witton-Gilbert parish, Durhamshire. The village stands 1¾mile N N E of Witton-Gilbert r. station, and 3½ N W of Durham; and has a post-office under Durham. The chapelry was constituted in 1863. Pop., 2, 106. Many of the inhabitants are employed in collieries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was completed in 1866, at a cost of somethingmore than £1, 700; and is in the early English style. A Wesleyan chapel was built in 1865.

Sacriston through time

Sacriston is now part of Chester le Street district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester le Street has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sacriston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sacriston, in Chester le Street and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22689

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sacriston ".