Place:


Knighton  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knighton like this:

KNIGHTON, a chapelry in St. Margaret parish, Leicestershire; adjacent to the Midland railway, 2 miles S by E of Leicester. Post town, Leicester. Acres, 1, 020. Real property, £6, 356. Pop. in 1851, 494; in 1861, 641. Houses, 122. The manor belongs to Sir William E.Hartopp, Bart. Many of the houses are villas, with large gardens, and inhabited by the manufacturers of Leicester. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of St. Margaret, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is a neat edifice, with tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a national school.

Knighton through time

Knighton is now part of Leicester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leicester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Knighton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knighton, in Leicester and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22518

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Knighton ".