Place:


Hambledon  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hambledon like this:

HAMBLEDON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Droxford district, and a hundred in Droxford division, Hants. The village stands 6 miles NNW of Porchester r. station, and 6½ ESE of Bishops Waltham; is a considerable place; and has a post office‡ under Horndean; and it had a weekly market and three annual horse fairs, which have all been discontinued. ...


The parish contains also the tythings of Denmead, Ervills, Chidden, and Glidden. Acres, 9, 040. Real property, £9, 628. Pop. in 185, 2, 052; in 186, , 891. Houses, 408. The property is much subdivided. There are numerous mansions and villas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £750.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is early English, in good condition, with a tower; and contains several monuments. Four ancient chapels were in the four tythings, and have left some remains. There is a national school.—The sub-district contains also two other parishes. Acres, 2, 840. Pop., 5, 221. Houses, 1, 077. The hundred is conterminate with the parish.

Hambledon through time

Hambledon is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hambledon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hambledon, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2249

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hambledon ".