Place:


Dickleburgh  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dickleburgh like this:

DICKLEBURGH, a village and a parish in Depwade district, Norfolk. The village stands on the Roman road to Norwich, near an affluent of the river Waveney, 2 miles SW of Burston r. station, and 3½ NE by E of Diss; and has a post office under Scole. The parish includes also the hamlet of Langmere. ...


Acres, 2, 343. Real property, £4, 034. Pop., 895. Houses, 201. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Orford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £794.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is a handsome edifice, with a square tower; and contains monuments to George Lee and the Turner family. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A school has £27 from endowment; and other charities £56.

Dickleburgh through time

Dickleburgh is now part of South Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dickleburgh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dickleburgh in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2247

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dickleburgh ".