Place:


Quarter  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Quarter like this:

Quarter Ironworks and Darngaber, a conjoint village in Hamilton parish, Lanarkshire, 3 miles S of Hamilton town and ½ mile ENE of Quarter Road station on the Strathaven branch of the Caledonian railway. It has a post office (Quarter) under Hamilton, an Established chapel of ease, a public school, and iron-works with five blast furnaces. The chapel of ease is an Early Decorated edifice of 1884, containing 430 sittings. Pop. (1871) 544, (1881) 886.—Ord. Sur., sh. 23, 1865.

Quarter through time

Quarter is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Quarter itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Quarter in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22405

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Quarter ".