Place:


Yarmouth  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Yarmouth like this:

YARMOUTH, a small town and a parish in the Isle of Wight. The town stands at the mouth of the rivulet Yar, at the ferry to Lymington, 10 miles W of Newport; was anciently known as Eremouth; was twice visited by John Lackland, on his way to France; was burnt by the French in 1277 and 1524; sent two members to parliament once in the time of Edward I., and always from the time of Elizabeth till disfranchised in 1832; was chartered by Baldwin de Rivers, and is still nominally governed by a mayor and other officers; presents an old-fashioned yet pleasant and considerably improved appearance; is a sub-port to Cowes; and has a post-office,‡ designated Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, two chief inns, a market place, a town hall, a quay and steam-boat pier, a bridge, a small castle of the time of Henry VIII., a church restored in 1831, and rearranged in 1867, three dissenting chapels, parochial schools of 1855, and charities £36. ...


The parish comprises 93 acres of land and 50 of water. Real property, £2,297. Pop. in 1851,572; in 1861,726. Houses, 142. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £120.* Patron, J. Fisher, Esq.

Yarmouth through time

Yarmouth is now part of the Isle of Wight district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Wight has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Yarmouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Yarmouth, in The the Isle of Wight and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2239

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Yarmouth ".