Place:


Carfin  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Carfin like this:

Carfin, a collier village in Bothwell parish, NE Lanarkshire, 1¾ mile NE of Motherwell, under which it has a post office. At it are a reading-room, St Francis Xavier's Roman Catholic church (1881), and three schools-boys', girls', and Roman Catholic. With respective accommodation for 110,127, and 193 children, these had (1880) an average attendance of 88,79, and 263, and grants of £86,11s., £69,2s. 6d., and £179,14s. Carfin House stands ½ mile to the S, on the right bank of South Calder Water. Pop. (1861) 1342, (1871) 1111, (1881) 1229.

Carfin through time

Carfin is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carfin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carfin in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22362

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carfin ".