Place:


Bassendean  Berwickshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Bassendean like this:

Bassendean, an ancient parish, now incorporated with Westruther, SW Berwickshire. Remains of its church, 5¼ miles W by S of Greenlaw, are still the burial-place of the Homes of Bassendean. Bassendean House adjacent, 6 miles NE of Earlston, is an old Border tower with modern additions in the Baronial style; its present owner, Major Jn. H. Fergusson-Home (b. 1815; suc. 1860), owns 775 acres in the shire, valued at £890 per annum. The estate was given by James VI. in 1577 to William Home, third son of Sir James Home of Cowdenknowes.

Bassendean through time

Bassendean is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bassendean itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bassendean, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22353

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bassendean ".