Place:


Auchenheath  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Auchenheath like this:

Auchenheath, a collier village in Lesmahagow parish, Lanarkshire, 2½ miles N of Abbey Green. Standing on the right bank of the Nethan, it has a station on the Lesmahagow branch of the Caledonian, and boys' and girls' schools, with total accommodation for 312 children, an average attendance (1879) of 152, and grants amounting to £138,12s. 3d. Two coal pits, at work here in 1879, belong to the Carboniferous Limestone series, and furnish fine cannel coal, employed in the Glasgow and other gas-works. Pop. (1861) 716, (1871) 763, (1881)

Auchenheath through time

Auchenheath is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Auchenheath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Auchenheath in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22322

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Auchenheath ".