Place:


Auchengray  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Auchengray like this:

Auchengray, a hamlet of Carnwath parish, Lanarkshire, with a station on the Caledonian, which is 5¾ miles NNE of Carstairs, and 21¾ SW of Edinburgh, has a telegraph and post office, and is the junction for Wilsontown. The hamlet, ¾ mile NNE, has an Established mission church (80 attendants in 1880), and a public school, with accommodation for 132 children, an average attendance (1879) of 47, and a grant of £48,5s.; near it are brickworks, quarries, and a coal pit.

Auchengray through time

Auchengray is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Auchengray itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Auchengray in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22321

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Auchengray ".