Place:


East Benhar  West Lothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described East Benhar like this:

Benhar, a village in Whitburn parish, Linlithgowshire, adjacent to the boundary with Lanarkshire, 1½ mile NNW of Fauldhouse station. A mission station of the Church of Scotland, conjoint with one at Harthill, is here; and a coalfield is adjacent, lying under an alluvialbed 7 fathoms and 3 feet thick, and containing a seam of coal 18 inches thick, and a seam of splint coal 3 feet 8 inches thick. Pop. (1871) 417.

East Benhar through time

East Benhar is now part of West Lothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Benhar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Benhar in West Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22304

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Benhar ".