Place:


South Alloa  Stirlingshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described South Alloa like this:

Alloa, South, a hamlet in Airth parish, Stirlingshire, on the right bank of the river Forth, at Alloa Ferry, and at the terminus of the Larbert and South Alloa branch of the Caledonian railway, 6 miles ESE of Stirling. A project was authorised in 1873, on a proposed capital of £300,000 in shares of £10, to construct a dock at South Alloa, with an entrance lock 126 yards long, and with all quays, jetties, wharves, roads, and warehouses, requisite for a good harbour: and a bill was promoted in Dec. 1875 to extend the time for the works till 1880.

South Alloa through time

South Alloa is now part of Falkirk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Falkirk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Alloa itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Alloa, in Falkirk and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22288

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Alloa ".