Place:


St Wenn  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Wenn like this:

WENN (St.), a parish in St. Columb district, Cornwall; 4 miles ENE of St. Columb-Major, and 12 W of Bodmin-Road r. station. It was known at Domesday as San Wena; and it has two annual fairs. Post town, Bodmin. Acres, 4,546. Real property, £3,352. Pop. in 1851, 650; in 1861, 580. Houses, 120. Tregotha, now a farmhouse, was the birthplace of Archbishop Tregury of the 15th century. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £161.* Patron, W. Rashleigh, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1825, and. restored in 1868. There are a Wesleyan chapel and national schools.

St Wenn through time

St Wenn is now part of Restormel district. Click here for graphs and data of how Restormel has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Wenn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Wenn, in Restormel and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2228

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Wenn ".