Place:


Rosewell  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Rosewell like this:

Rosewell, a village in Lasswade parish, Edinburghshire, 5 furlongs S of Hawthornden station, and 4 miles SW of Dalkeith. It is largely inhabited by colliers employed in neighbouring coal mines; and it has a post office, with money order and savings' bank departments, an Established church, and a public school. The church (1872; 350 sittings) is a handsome edifice, and was raised to quoad sacra status in 1874. Pop. of village (1861) 390, (1871) 790, (1881) 1394; of q. s. parish (1881) 2129.—Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.

Rosewell through time

Rosewell is now part of Midlothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how Midlothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rosewell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rosewell in Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22262

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rosewell ".