Place:


St Martins  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Martins like this:

MARTIN (ST.), one of the Scilly Islands, in Cornwall; 3 miles N of St. Mary's. Acres, about 550. Pop., 185. Houses, 48. On the N of it is St. Martin's bay, connected by land at low water with Whitc Island whiqh has a deep cavern or old tin-mine; on the E is St. Martin's Head, 160 feet high, crowned by the Day Marlj., and commanding a very striking view among the islands; on the SE are the Higher Town and Cruther's Hill, about 70 feet high; on the S and the W are St. ...


Martin's Flats, famous for shells; on the W is Tincler's Point, surmounted by a Druidical stone, and near the remains of two Druidical circles; and on the NW, accessible at low-water, are Pernagie Isle, Plumb Island, and the Lion Rock.

St Martins through time

St Martins is now part of Isles of Scilly district. Click here for graphs and data of how Isles of Scilly has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Martins itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Martins, in Isles of Scilly and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2226

Date accessed: 17th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Martins ".