Place:


Port Gordon  Banffshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Port Gordon like this:

Port-Gordon, a fishing village in Rathven parish, Banffshire, 2½ miles SW of Buckie, 3¾ E by S of the mouth of the Spey, and 5½ NE of Fochabers. Founded in 1797 by the fourth Duke of Gordon, it ranks as a creek of the port of Banff, and does some trade in exporting grain and importing salt and coals. ...


Its 99 fishing-boats employ 200 men and boys; and its artificial harbour, having fallen into decay in spite of repeated renewals and enlargements, has been superseded by a new harbour, which, formed in 1870-74 at a cost of £15,000 by the Duke of Richmond, comprises two breakwaters, two piers, a quay berthage of 1400 feet, and a basin 3 acres in area. A good water supply was introduced in 1884. Pop. (1841) 457, (1861) 630, (1871) 970, (1881) 737.—Ord. Sur., sh. 95, 1876.

Port Gordon through time

Port Gordon is now part of Moray district. Click here for graphs and data of how Moray has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Port Gordon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Port Gordon, in Moray and Banffshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22258

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Port Gordon ".