Place:


Polton  Midlothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Polton like this:

Polton, a group of places in Lasswade parish, Edinburghshire, adjacent to the North Esk river, and within ½ mile SSW of Lasswade village. It contains the terminus of the Eskbank, Lasswade, and Polton line, 10¾ miles by rail SSE of Edinburgh; the papermills of Messrs Annandale & Son; Polton Colliery; Polton House (Rt. Dundas, Esq. of Arniston), etc.—Ord. Sur., sh. 32, 1857.

Polton through time

Polton is now part of Midlothian district. Click here for graphs and data of how Midlothian has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Polton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Polton in Midlothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22253

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Polton ".