Place:


Overtown  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Overtown like this:

Overtown, a large village in Cambusnethan parish, Lanarkshire, near a station of its own name on the Caledonian railway, 1½ mile SE of Wishaw, and 3½ miles NW of Carluke. Lying amid a rich mineral country, and inhabited chiefly by workers in the mineral field, it has a post office under Wishaw, a school of the Coltness Iron Co., a Roman Catholic school, St Patrick's Roman Catholic church (1873; 200 sittings), and an Established church. ...


The last, built in 1874-75 at a cost of over £2000, is an Early English edifice, with a bold square tower 80 feet high, and 600 sittings. Pop. (1861) 364, (1871) 1517, (1881) 1293.—Ord. Sur., sh. 23, 1865.

Overtown through time

Overtown is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Overtown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Overtown in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22243

Date accessed: 15th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Overtown ".