Place:


Newarthill  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Newarthill like this:

Newarthill, a mining village in Bothwell parish, Lanarkshire, 1¾ mile E by S of Holytown, and 3 miles ENE of Motherwell. Standing amid a rich mineral tract, it has a post office under Motherwell, a U.P. church (1810; 600 sittings), and a public school. Pop. (1841) 968, (1861) 1382, (1871) 1530, (1881) 1355.—Ord. Sur., sh. 31, 1867.

Newarthill through time

Newarthill is now part of North Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newarthill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newarthill in North Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22237

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newarthill ".