Place:


Mey  Caithness

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Mey like this:

Mey, a hamlet in Canisbay parish, Caithness, on the coast road from Thurso to Huna and Wick, 13 miles E by N of Thurso, and 23 NNW of Wick, under which it has a post office. Mey Head, a small promontory on the coast, terminating 2 miles SW of Stroma island, was the site of the ancient chapel of Mey; and, in consequence of that chapel having been dedicated to St John, is sometimes called St John's Point. ...


The Men of Mey are jagged rocky islets, in a dangerous sweep of sea, immediately off Mey Head, and lie submerged at full and half tide. The shallow Loch of Mey (4 x 22/3 furl.; 43 feet) lies on the mutual border of Dunnet and Canisbay parishes.—Ord. Sur., shs. l16, 117, 1878-84.

Mey through time

Mey is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mey, in Highland and Caithness | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22218

Date accessed: 18th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mey ".