Place:


Wednesfield  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wednesfield like this:

WEDNESFIELD, a township and two chapelries in Wolverhampton parish, Stafford. The township lies on the Wyrley canal, near the South Staffordshire railway, 2 miles NE of Wolverhampton; and has a post-office under Wolverhampton, and a r. station. Real property, £16,486; of which £852 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 4,858; in 1861, 8,553. Houses, 1,708. The increase of pop. arose mainly from the erection of houses for the accommodation of coal-miners. The property is not much divided. Perry Hall is a chief residence. The manufacture of locks, keys, and traps is very largely carried on. Edward the Elder beat the Danes here in 910.-The chapelries are W. and W.-Heath; and are jointly conterminate with the township. The living of W. is a vicarage, and that of W.-Heath is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value of W., £280;* of W.-Heath, £120. Patron of W., the Bishop of Lichfield; of W.-Heath, H. Rogers, Esq. W. church was built in 1760, and recently enlarged. W.-Heath church was built in 1853. There are three dissenting chapels, several public schools, and charities £20.

Wednesfield through time

Wednesfield is now part of Wolverhampton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wolverhampton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wednesfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wednesfield, in Wolverhampton and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/222

Date accessed: 22nd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wednesfield ".