Place:


Kirkfieldbank  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Kirkfieldbank like this:

Kirkfieldbank or Kirkland, a village in Lesmahagow parish, Lanarkshire, on the left bank of the Clyde, 1 mile W of Lanark. Adjoining a beautiful sweep of the river, which contains a romantic wooded island, and is spanned by a three-arched bridge, it chiefly consists of two ranges of houses along the road from Lanark to Glasgow; and has a post office under Lanark, an Established chapel of ease, and a public school. ...


The chapel of ease was built in 1871 at a cost of about £8000, and contains 400 sittings. Pop. (1841) 1023, (1861) 1212, (1871) 963, (1881) 963.—Ord. Sur., sh. 23, 1865.

Kirkfieldbank through time

Kirkfieldbank is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkfieldbank itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkfieldbank in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22194

Date accessed: 25th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkfieldbank ".