Place:


Kingairloch  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Kingairloch like this:

Kingairloch, a hamlet in Lismore and Appin parish, Argyllshire, at the head of Loch Corry (a western offshoot of Loch Linnhe), 16 miles SW of Ardgour, and 26 SW of Fort William. It has a post office, an inn, a public school, and an Established mission church. From J. A. Forbes, Esq., the estates of Kingairloch and North Corry were purchased in 1881 for £30,140 by John Bell Sherriff, Esq. of Carronvale (b. 1821), who holds 11,205 acres in Argyllshire and 164 in Stirlingshire, valued at £1440 and £363 per annum. The mansion, Kingairloch House, stands near the hamlet.

Kingairloch through time

Kingairloch is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingairloch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingairloch, in Highland and Argyll | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22181

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingairloch ".