Place:


Hyndford  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Hyndford like this:

Hyndford, a hamlet and an estate in Lanark parish, Lanarkshire. The hamlet, on the right bank of the Clyde, 2½ miles SE of Lanark town, bears the name of Hyndford-Bridge, from a narrow five-arch bridge across the river, erected in the latter half of last century. The estate, extending along the Clyde both above and below the hamlet from early in the 16th century, has belonged to the family of Carmichael, and gave them the title of Earl in the peerage of Scotland from 1701 till 1817.—Ord. Sur., sh. 23, 1865. See Carmichael.

Hyndford through time

Hyndford is now part of South Lanarkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lanarkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hyndford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hyndford in South Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22161

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hyndford ".